[oe] DEPENDS="gettext" vs. DEPENDS="virtual/libintl"

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Fri Jun 6 22:06:11 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm working on exorcizing gettext as a requirement for building OE.  Since
glib-2.0 absolutely has to have libintl, I've found an alternate way of
providing.  uClibc's libintl stub has a pretty bad case of bitrot, but I
found proxy-libintl, which was written to get GNOME onto Windows.  By setting
proxy-libintl up as the PREFERRED_PROVIDER for virtual/libintl, I can get
past glib-2.0 now.

The problem now is that some packages explicitly list "gettext" in their
DEPENDS.  Is this just legacy from before virtual/libintl was created?  Is
there any reason why these can't all be changed to "virtual/libintl"?

TIA,
---
Geoffrey