[oe] DEPENDS="gettext" vs. DEPENDS="virtual/libintl"

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Sat Jun 7 17:31:54 UTC 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 05:24:50 pm Henning Heinold wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 05:06:11PM -0500, Geoffrey Wossum wrote:
> > I'm working on exorcizing gettext as a requirement for building OE.
> > Since glib-2.0 absolutely has to have libintl, I've found an alternate
> > way of providing.  uClibc's libintl stub has a pretty bad case of bitrot,
> > but I found proxy-libintl, which was written to get GNOME onto Windows.
> > By setting proxy-libintl up as the PREFERRED_PROVIDER for
> > virtual/libintl, I can get past glib-2.0 now.
> >
> > The problem now is that some packages explicitly list "gettext" in their
> > DEPENDS.  Is this just legacy from before virtual/libintl was created?
> > Is there any reason why these can't all be changed to "virtual/libintl"?

> I suggest looking into this packages to see why they need gettext, maybee
> they need special tools, which only gettext provides.

I masked out the gettext package, and it turned out the only package my
current system needs that had a DEPENDS for gettext was popt.  I changed
popt's DEPENDS from gettext to virtual/libintl, and it built fine.  I won't
be able to test out my gettext free build on hardware until Monday, though.

It seems to me that if a package needs headers or libraries from gettext, a
DEPENDS of "virtual/libintl" would be fine.  If a package needs tools from
gettext to be built, then it should be depending on "gettext-native" instead
of "gettext", I would think.

---
Geoffrey