[oe] Switching SCM to git and commit/review policy

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Mon Jun 16 14:30:06 UTC 2008

Otavio Salvador wrote:
>  - the tree will be a moving target, without stable revision numbers
>    and difficult to merge, base work in and like

OE is always a moving target.  I don't see how the policy would change that.

>  - most of the pros can be done using the oe-next tree. Doing a full
>    compilation of changed modules before and after each merge gives a
>    nice feedback for trivial problems

Modules?  Are you talking kernel?  Or are you using modules as a synonym
for recipe?

>  - Being available on unstable doesn't mean it'll be tested

Neither does any of the other proposals ensure that.  "tested" sounds
like 0 or 1, but in fact it is a continuum.  I can at least think of the
following

- compiles fine
- compiles fine from scratch
- compiles fine from scratch for MACHINE/DISTRO X and Y
- tested to run on MACHINE X
- tested to run on all supported MACHINEs
- does not interfere with another package

What do you mean by "tested"?  How will other processes and policies
ensure that?

>  - 2 days is a too short testing window

well, that is of course just a proposal and thus easy to fix if necessary.

PS: This is not a rebuttal or a claim that the proposed policy is even a
desirable one.  But I feel there is more need for clarification.