[oe] Switching SCM to git and commit/review policy

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Mon Jun 16 17:03:52 UTC 2008

Rolf Leggewie <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de> writes:

> Otavio,
>
> thank you for clarifying.
>
> Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> The revisions will be a moving target. To tag a commit as "not-ok"
>> you'd need to amend it and  them change it rev number.
>
> I was talking about a possible workflow with absolute disregard as to
> how it is supported by tools out there, git in particular.  I think, at
> this point in time it is OK to build your castle in the sky and worry
> about how to implement that with tools later (and possibly make
> necessary adjustments, then)

I don't think so. What's the point in thinking a perfect solution that
will be problematic with the available tools?

>>> Modules?  Are you talking kernel?  Or are you using modules as a synonym
>>> for recipe?
>>
>> recipe, sorry.
>
> Well, that is certainly nice, but not sufficient.  bitbake will not
> necessarily rebuild an app if a lib changes IIRC.

Sure but will rebuild the lib ... and a from scratch build when all
trees are merged in oe-next can be an nice way to find those problems
out too.

>> human. I think that a sort of compile tests are enough to kill most of
>> problems.
>
> NACK.  I don't agree.  They are necessary and good to be done.  They are
> still insufficient.  Otherwise, we could fully automate the review
> process and have a compile firm to automatically reject changesets that
> lead to compile failures.

Well, this is the most important part of my proposal. oe-next would be
an auto-nack process. If it fails to compile, nack and notify the
commiter.

Any other test will be need to be done case by case. Obviously that
something that touches a class is much more important to be carefully
tested then another patch that includes a new version of package
foobar used by a single user.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855