[oe] Building a rootfs, without building a kernel

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Tue Jun 24 20:04:15 UTC 2008

I am trying to build a powerpc root file system for a xilinx ml403
board. Since we do not have a working kernel build for this machine, I
tried commenting out the PREFERRED_PROVIDER for virtual/linux. The build
then tries to build linux-rt. I tried ASSUME_PROVIDED for the kernel
when the preferred provider is not commented out and it still tries to
build the kernel.

Looking at the dependency graphs seems to suggest the requirement comes
from the do_rootfs task.

Does anyone know how to build an image, without building a kernel for a
machine?

Philip