[oe] Building a rootfs, without building a kernel

Welch, Martyn (GE EntSol, Intelligent Platforms) martyn.welch at gefanuc.com
Thu Jun 26 12:03:14 UTC 2008

Philip Balister wrote:
> I am trying to build a powerpc root file system for a xilinx ml403
> board. Since we do not have a working kernel build for this machine, I
> tried commenting out the PREFERRED_PROVIDER for virtual/linux. The
> build
> then tries to build linux-rt. I tried ASSUME_PROVIDED for the kernel
> when the preferred provider is not commented out and it still tries to
> build the kernel.
>
> Looking at the dependency graphs seems to suggest the requirement
> comes
> from the do_rootfs task.
>
> Does anyone know how to build an image, without building a kernel for
> machine?

How about just including a kernel recipe for a similar device?

That's what I tend to do just to get a root filesystem which I can use
for development.

Martyn

----
Martyn Welch MEng MPhil MIET
Principal Software Engineer

GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms
Tove Valley Business Park, Towcester,
Northants, NN12 6PF, United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 (0) 1327 359444
Direct Dial: +44 (0) 1327 322748
Fax: +44 (0) 1327 322800
email: martyn.welch at gefanuc.com
web: www.gefanuc.com

GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms Ltd, registered in England and Wales
(3828642) at 100 Barbirolli Square, Manchester, M2 3AB, VAT GB 729 849
476

GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms Confidential and Proprietary. If you
have received this message in error please notify us immediately and
permanently remove it from your system and destroy any printed
hardcopies.