[oe] iwwmmxt optimization and soft float in OE on PXA270

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Tue Mar 4 20:32:48 UTC 2008

Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> Khem Raj wrote:
> > What ABI breakage are you seeing ?
> > Aren't you using EABI ?
I have verified, that gcc(1) does not tell true, and I see no breakage
while mixing these two environments (library from one x binary from
second one).

It allows me to do small benchmarks - compare default image with
optimized iwmmxt image.

I see about 13% performance improvement. I don't yet know why.

previous (mid-February) oe.dev image in chroot, compiled with defaults:
armv5, only mplayer for iwmmxt, softfp floats, reusing original kernel
and X:
2nd run:
real	0m26.696s
user	0m7.700s
sys	0m1.030s
3rd run:
real	0m26.611s
user	0m7.570s
sys	0m0.880s

playing video, everything compiled for iwmmxt with -msoft-float and
higher optimization options:
2nd run:
real	0m25.990s
user	0m6.840s