[oe] sdk.bbclass and gcc-cross-sdk

Esben Haabendal EsbenHaabendal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 22:32:37 UTC 2008

Richard Purdie skrev:
> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 20:06 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  What do I propose as a solution? I think the simplest thing is to would
>>>  be to do some/all of:
>>>
>>>  a) revert my sdk.bbclass changes
>>>  b) continue with our build == host assumption for gcc-cross-sdk for now
>>>  c) rename sdk.bbclass cross-sdk.bbclass
>>>  d) add a "real" sdk.bbclass
>>>

>> Before a), I would like to see a description of what we expect the
>> different classes to do, simply because I have lost track. I
>> understood we never  supported building Canadian cross-compilers, BTW.
>>

> The 'normal' situation for OE is:
>
>   build = "build system"
>   host = target = "set by machine config"
>
> cross.bbclass:
>
>   build = host = "build system"
>   target = "set by machine config"
>
> native.bbclass:
>
>   build = host = target = "build system"
>
> sdk.bbclass (previously)
>
>   build = host = "build system"
>   target = "set by machine config"
>
> sdk.bbclass (previously)
>
>   build = "build system"
>   host = "build system with modified vendor"
>   target = "set by machine config"
>

>> There are other projects that focus on the correctness of building
>> cross toolchains*, canadian or non-canadian, and if we have clear
>> requirements for each of our classes, I would like to see if I can
>> understand what we do (correctly or not).
>>

> So sdk.bbclass did become a kind of Canadian cross but only with a
> different vendor part of the triplet. I'd not realised this had changed
> what gcc-cross-sdk was doing so drastically since it still worked!
>
> "gcc" is a normal package, "gcc-initial" and "gcc-cross" are cross
> packages, gcc-cross-sdk is an sdk package.
>
> We could support building canadian cross if we wanted, Id propose a new
> class for it though (sdk-canadian?). Does that cover what you wanted?

I would love to see canadian cross support in OE. It would save me the
effort maintaining an OE hacked up to build a standard meta-toolchain
target.

If there is interest in it, I wouldn't mind working on this issue.  And
if I am the only one interested in it, I might want to do it anyway.
Just for fun :-)

/Esben