[oe] gcc-cross-initial.inc DEPENDS on libc-initial, but why conditionally on TARGET_ARCH?

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:56:37 UTC 2008

Koen,

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Koen Kooi
<koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:
>  | OE toolchain question: any reason why the list below includes arm*,
>  | mips* but nothing else?
>  | gcc-cross-initial.inc:
>  "${@['virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}libc-initial',''][bb.data.getVar('TARGET_ARCH',
>  | d, 1) in ['arm', 'armeb', 'mips', 'mipsel']]}"
>
>  I think that's because we only supported nptl for arm and mips when the
>  earth was still young and glibc even nastier than today. I asked this
>  before and never got a conclusive answer :(

I suspected this to be NPTL related, and I vaguely remember you
explaining the initial-intermediate dependencies.

RP answered on #oe that my logic was inverse: gcc-cross-initial *does*
depend on libc-initial *only* when arm/mips is the target, not for
other architectures.

Indeed, when building powerpc/glibc no libc-initial is involved.
However, when I switch to ulibc, there is a libc-initial involved, but
it is not depended on, and a parallel build fails.

Argh, if only I understood the whole complete picture, I could fix it,

Thanks for the answers,

Regards,
--
Leon