[oe] Reconsidering the work flow and how the SCM system fits in

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Mar 11 10:24:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 10:59 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Holger Freyther schreef:
>
> | Also you have witnessed the issue with suspending branches and the
> automerger
> | making them live again... there is enough evidence...
>
> That was because the automerger was running an mtn version that didn't
> have suspend cert support (0.30, it now is running 0.39). Also, as
> maintainer of said automerger I haven't heard *anything* about suspend
> certs being used by OE nor about them not working for OE. So I think you
> should blame bad communication for this, not the tool. I would have
> happily upgraded the automerger if someone had bothered to tell me[1].

We had a situation where some bad changes propagated into OE.dev
accidentally and I took steps to try and revert them. On advice from the
monotone devs, I suspended the current head and tried to move us back to
an older one. As the automerger didn't support them it just resurrected
the suspended branch. It was something that needed to be sorted ASAP
since anyone making a checkout during the "bad head" time would have to
manually change their head. In the end I just merged the heads and
corrupted our history since the damage wasn't as bad as originally
thought.

> [1] Or sent a mail to the mailinglist!

I did, Subject:[oe] Monotone issues, Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:51:39 +0000

Cheers,

Richard