[oe] sysroot vs. finding header files

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Mar 11 11:08:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 09:59 +0100, Holger Freyther wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2008 21:15:32 Richard Purdie wrote:
> > Hi Mickey,
> >
> > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 19:42 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > With pkgconfig now pointing to /usr (and friends), this no longer finds a
> > > keysymdef.h until you have X on your buildhost.
> > >

> > b) I've not seen any other package do anything that insane
>
> aeh? finding a certain header file is quite common.. let us see how things
> work here. also I'm just slowly groking sysroot. It would be nice to know
> when and where certain path's get mapped away from /usr/include to something
> else...

That X code wants to know what the actual path to the header is. This
isn't the usual autofoo requirement of checking a header exists or
knowing what -I flags to use.

Needing to know the absolute path to the header is not as common a
requirement as you'd expect. There are ways and means but pulling it
from pkg-config the way that package did isn't a good one.

Cheers,

Richard