[oe] Reconsidering the work flow and how the SCM system fits in

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 13:03:20 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:39:13 +0000
Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 14:30 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> > Yeah, I'd say, *every* git user hit your problem before - that
> > git is inconsistent, poorly implemented set of hacks. And if they
> > grow to love it, why that can't happen to yourself, right?
>
> You will never have seen me argue git has a nice UI. I've said quite
> the opposite on many occasions. I have said its powerful but thats
> different.

It's nice to have that said explicit - different. Supposedly it's more
powerful for developers, but how good it is for end users? How many
industry entities select git as their in-house SCM? I doubt that too
many, knowing too well that many still select just CVS.

> > > There is also an advantage if someone doesn't have to know yet
> > > another SCM to check out OE. I don't have hg installed, I do have
> > > git and if we conducted a poll of other OE devs/users I think
> > > we'd see a pattern.
> >
> > I probably dumb, but that pattern would be CVS? SVN? no? Nevermind,
> > of course.
>
> I'm assuming we're considering distributed scms but you know this ;-)

Yes, I'm trying to hint that arguments like having something already
installed, or some niche, but big project already using it, are not
necessarily valid for the topic of selecting SCM for OE.

I'd really like someone who lead this idea to actually try few
"advanced" usecases with both git and hg. But if that's not going to
happen, at least let's not pretend that git is going to be "better"
than hg or even mtn. It will be just different, possibly, bringing more
issues overall.

> Cheers,
>
> Richard

[]