[oe] Reconsidering the work flow and how the SCM system fits in

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Tue Mar 11 14:01:39 UTC 2008

Richard Purdie wrote:
> So, firstly, is anyone else willing to propose any other distributed
> SCMs or is this just a choice between hg and git? If so, we have three
>
> 1. Continue as we are with monotone
> 2. Switch to git
> 3. Switch to hg

Basically, RP has cut to the core of the discussion. This is the
question that must be resolved.

1) mtn creates pain for a small number of important developers and does
not effectively support some projects workflows. However, these problems
limit our ability to promote OE effectively. Continuing with mtn is not
a long term survival strategy for OE. (Yes, I am wearing a PHB hat when
I say this.)

2) Personally, I need to improve my git skillz so I can work effectively
with u-boot and the kernel projects. Professionally speaking, I must
learn git.

3) Koen's picture of the Hg workflow is very helpful. But for me
personally, my git needs trump my curiosity about Hg. The bottom line is
that I have only so many hours in a day to learn things, and I would
prefer to have to learn a SCM that is already in my queue of things to
learn.

Although I personally have no particular beef with mtn (I have trained
my fingers to use it for my needs) I would be fine with a switch to git.

As a final note, as long as OE does not switch to cvs, I would learn
whatever SCM is chosen since the power of OE outweighs SCM annoyance :)

Philip