[oe] Reconsidering the work flow and how the SCM system fits in

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 23:40:43 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:12:21 -0700
Tim Bird <tim.bird at am.sony.com> wrote:

> Richard Purdie wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 15:03 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> >> It's nice to have that said explicit - different. Supposedly it's
> >> more powerful for developers, but how good it is for end users?
> >> How many industry entities select git as their in-house SCM? I
> >> doubt that too many, knowing too well that many still select just
> >> CVS.
>

> > Regarding industrial entities, hopefully we call agree CVS is a
> > pretty bad SCM and that proves said industrial entities don't know
> > what they're doing, usually since it often it comes down to
> > politics rather than technical merit. I know of a few surprising
> > companies using git FWIW although I know of a few abominations in
> > use too.
>
> Just a data point...
> Sony uses git as its in-house SCM for Linux-related work.

Well, that's no wonder. Linux uses git, so everyone who does Linux
development uses git. But now people think that: 1) if Linux kernel
uses it, that everyone else must use it; 2) just as for many years
before people have been thinking that there's no other SCM except CVS
which can do better, then now they think there's no other DSCM except
GIT which can do better.

The last similarity is very striking, and let's just hope that we won't
have reasons to say something like "hopefully we can agree CVS is a
pretty bad SCM and that proves said entities don't know what
they're doing" in regard to GIT.

[]

--
Best regards,