[oe] Reconsidering the work flow and how the SCM system fits in

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 21:52:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:20:16PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> So either apache or sshd, which means you can't setup a 'server' quickly
> during e.g. a conference.

Yes, git has nothing matching the single commands of mtn or hg if you
need to set up a temporary server in a hurry.

If you're looking for something you can do instantly on your laptop or
similar then serving it over git:// might do the job but it requires
inetd and flipping a switch to enable unauthenticated access:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html#Repository%20Administration

If you're actually talking to the person you're trying to share with
(presumably if you don't have sensible net access) there's also the
option of using a SSH server on your laptop (possibly in conjunction
with git-shell) to give them read-only access.

You can also just copy the entire repo to a machine, though that's not
going to be the most efficient thing in the world.  There's also the
option of using git-send-email plus git-am if you can transmit over
mail, but that's not guaranteed either and not everyone's mail setup can
deal with large volumes of patches gracefully.

Like I say, none of these options quite match the server options of hg
or mtn.