[oe] Reconsidering the work flow and how the SCM system fits in

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Thu Mar 13 08:48:34 UTC 2008

Dnia Wednesday 12 of March 2008, Koen Kooi napisał:
> Richard Purdie schreef:
> | Whilst I think OE will always have a central master .dev repository I
> | see a lot of gain from having branches. I would have happily put the
> | sysroot changes into a branch and likewise the packaged-staging stuff
> | I'm working on. As it is I'm keeping it locally uncommitted with no
> | version tracking since I don't really want to play games with
> | monotone.
>
> Thank you for saying it right out: "I haven't tried to use branches in
> mtn, ever".
> So we only have Holger saying mtn can't merge the dreambox branch, and
> people ignoring what I said about the avr32 branch.

I maintained MTN branches for quite long time (.oz354fam083 and .oz345x).
I did not merged them with .dev (as they were for other stuff) but only
cherrypicked some revisions .dev <> .oz354x/.oz345fam083.

There was one thing which I did not liked - MTN cared more about files and
their history then about content of those files. I remember situations
when it was not possible to cherrypick one line change because there was
few revisions difference between .oz354x and .dev versions.
Patching .oz354x by hand was the only solution then.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

     Free speech includes the right not to listen, if not interested
                                                [Robert A. Heinlein]