[oe] [RFC] move to opkg

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Mar 18 16:48:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 15:32 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Geoffrey Wossum schreef:
> | I understand that opkg is a fork of ipkg, since ipkg was unmaintained.
>   But
> | could someone explain what, if anything, this means to me as someone
> | currently building a product using OpenEmbedded for the underpinning?
>
> It means that after this gets applied you login to your product:
>
> ssh user at mytarget
> $ su -
> Password:
> # ipkg update
> sh: ipkg: : command not found
> # opkg update
> <output of opkg downloading stuff from feeds>
>
> So from a device user POV you need to type 'opkg' instead of 'ipkg'.
> ~From a developer POV you gain PGP signed packages.

That isn't the full story since the config files moved
from /usr/lib/ipkg to /usr/lib/opkg and distro maintainers need to be
wary of the transition. I think Angstrom has something to help with this
but I'm not sure?

While I think about this, would now be a good time to move the config
files to /var instead of /usr?

Poky can't do that yet since we don't have the var changes in OE but I
think most of /var in OE is persistent now?

Cheers,

Richard