[oe] Kernel developers strike again - aka "why wpa is broken" aka "why I have 2 kernels installed"

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Mar 21 18:38:37 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 10:38 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> In their supreme genius the kernel people have renamed the aes crypto
> module in 2.6.24, which leads to a lot of problems for people using
> feeds. The old modules doesn't get replaced by the new one (different
> name), so task-base will pull in the old aes-module and hence the old
> kernel. It doesn't pull in the new aes module, so your crypto is broken.
>
> A good solution would be for task-base to check the kernel version and
> adjust RRECOMMENDS accordingly.

This isn't a good solution since we have no way of handling package A
requires to know which version of package B was built.

Yes, the kernel can write a file to staging which task-base then reads
but this will only work with very precise ordering and I'm not keen on
promoting that.

How about we set:

RREPLACES_kernel-module-new-name = "kernel-module-old-name"
RCONFLICTS_kernel-module-new-name = "kernel-module-old-name"
RPROVIDES_kernel-module-new-name = "kernel-module-old-name"

in kernel.bbclass? The above probably isn't quite right but you get the
idea...

Cheers,

Richard