[oe] [RFC] move to opkg

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Sun Mar 23 23:10:54 UTC 2008

Tom Rini wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:55:28PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Tom Rini schreef:

>> | So you're saying that opkg will move to the stable branch once someone
>> | documents how to update distros for it?
>>
>> No, it can go into the stable branch once the steps in
>> http://linuxtogo.org/gowiki/Angstrom/Backport_from_dev_to_stable have
>> been satisfied.
>
> Well, presumably there will be another stable branch declared at some
> point and my main point holds.  Lets use this as a chance to document
> how to move a distro up to opkg from ipkg, and maybe sort out the kinks
> (such as say making it easy at the distro level to turn off GPG if size
> is more important than signing).

Tom,

Unfortunately, that's not how Koen works.  He pushes something through
with no regard for impact on other distros, as long as it works for the
small set of distros that he personally uses.  Then he just blames
everyone else for not keeping up instead of giving assistance to others.

So unless anyone else did the work to reverse-engineer how to move from
ipkg to opkg, those with the knowledge of how to do so already will just
keep maintaining their own favourite distros with no regard to the fact
that they broke a number of other distros in OE, and when the time comes
to cut the next stable branch they will say "oh, you didn't keep up with
the changes, so you won't be part of this stable branch".

-- Rod (who is in favour of opkg, if deployed in a well-managed fashion)