[oe] SCM scorecards

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Thu Mar 27 02:49:59 UTC 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 01:32:29 Graeme Gregory wrote:
> Moving a private discussion public I started to add a quick score card for
> SCM's
>
> This is currently how I see feature support.
>
> So far we seem to have this list where goodness is 1-5 (5 being good)
>
> CPU Load Git 5 Monotone 3
> Ease of branching Git 5 Monotone 5
> Ease of Branch Merging Git 4 Monotone 3
> Ease of Serving Git 1 Monotone 5
> Ease of Distributed SCM Git 2 Monotone 5
>

> Im sure there is more scores we can add to this list. And you might not
> agree with my scores, but it seems pretty close so far.

Ease of publishing branches Git 5 Monotone 0:
	Reasoning:
		With git, I push and transfer the number of bytes that I have changed
		to the server. So a small change is a small upload.

		With mtn (0.37 here) in contrast it wants to upload every revision to the
		server. I'm on a GPRS/UMTS/CDMA line and after ~48MB of upload I got
		disconnected, twice. The revs still reside on my disk only, I'm not able
		to share it. The database is locked during this operation, I can not do
		diffs, commits, checkouts during this time.

		Publishing means uploading what we have created, which is a lot bigger than
		just my small change.

z.