[oe] ipkg/opkg offical response

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Thu Mar 27 20:04:26 UTC 2008

Dnia Thursday 27 of March 2008, Richard Purdie napisał:

> Where do we go from here?
>
> I think Marcin has a nogpg version opkg he will commit so people don't
> have any issues with the increased size of ipkg.

Opkg can be made smaller by two changes:

1. disable GPG support in opkg (--disable-gpg)
2. disable GnuTLS support in curl

First step gains ~350KB of uncompressed storage. Second step gains ~1MB as
libcurl is 20K smaller and we get rid of gnutls and gcrypt libraries. But
even then it is bigger then ipkg.

So creation of "opkg-nogpg":

require opkg_svn.bb
EXTRA_OECONF += "--disable-gpg"

would be nice addon. Creation of "curl-nossl" and selecting it is
something which should be rather DISTRO choice as it generate same
packages as "curl" recipe.

> Does that and rwhitby's symlink fix address everyone's concerns? If not
> can we document the remaining issues and then hopefully address them.

> Do we need something to select between opkg and ipkg or is everyone ok
> with the symlinks?

Solution would be creating DISTRO_IPK_PACKAGE_MANAGER ?= "opkg" and using
it in package_ipk/rootfs_ipk and other places. Then staging
ipkg-cl/opkg-cl as ipkg/opkg so we can use "${DISTRO_IPK_PACKAGE_MANAGER}
update". Distros which prefer to use ipkg will stay with it, others will
move to opkg.

Opinions?

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

    I used to think the brain is the most wonderfull organ in my body,
    till I realised what was telling me that