[oe] ipkg/opkg offical response

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Mar 28 09:20:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 01:30 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> >
> >  I'll ask the silly qustion.  Given that mkimage hasn't changed in I
> >  don't know how long, why are both providing it?  Just to save on sources
> >  downloaded?  Did OM really change mkimage?
> >
> Good question, thanks for asking!
>
> In fact, I have seen some of the kernel recipes seen switching between
> openmoko's and non-openmoko u-boot-tools, with and without breakage in
> the past.
>
> Could the openmoko guys please describe what grants their version to exist? :-)

As far as I know, the mkimage tool hasn't changed in a long time so we
should be able to share one common version. Using a simpler recipe kind
of makes sense but I'll let the openmoko people answer.

One way forward might be to DEPEND on virtual/mkimage-native. The
various uboot providers can then PROVIDE this and it becomes distro
policy which one is selected?

Cheers,

Richard