[oe] ipkg/opkg offical response

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Mar 28 09:27:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 10:45 +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:
> Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> > So creation of "opkg-nogpg":
> >
> > require opkg_svn.bb
> > EXTRA_OECONF += "--disable-gpg"
> >
> > would be nice addon. Creation of "curl-nossl" and selecting it is
> > something which should be rather DISTRO choice as it generate same
> > packages as "curl" recipe.
>
> +1

Creation of that has my backing too.

> > Solution would be creating DISTRO_IPK_PACKAGE_MANAGER ?= "opkg" and using
> > it in package_ipk/rootfs_ipk and other places. Then staging
> > ipkg-cl/opkg-cl as ipkg/opkg so we can use "${DISTRO_IPK_PACKAGE_MANAGER}
> > update". Distros which prefer to use ipkg will stay with it, others will
> > move to opkg.
>
> Can we simplify to DISTRO_PACKAGE_MANAGER?  Will we ever want ipks and
> debs to be produced at the same time?

This is useful and I'd like to continue to be able to do that. Its
useful in automated test configurations since dpkg is a lot more strict
about its control field contents and I've seen it fail when ipkg-build
has been happy. Poky's autobuilder therefore builds both.

Cheers,

Richard