[oe] binconfig.bbclass breaks packages QA

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Mar 28 11:30:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 12:16 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Richard Purdie wrote:
> > I've had a quick look and the problem is from cups which doesn't have
> > a .pc file. The two solutions that spring to mind are:
> >
> > 1. Add a .pc file to cups and have libgnomecups use it
> > 2. Add some sed to the libgnomecups recipe to fix the bad paths after
> > the compile completes.
>
> We have many foo-config files embedded to other fooo-config or .pc.
> System wide solution would be nicer.

Before we start discussing invasive system wide solutions, can you
define "many"? How big is this problem?

A quick glance at my local build shows 217 .pc files and 14 binconfig
ones. Of the 14 binconfigs I can spot several that also have .pc files.
binconfig is being replaced by pkgconfig so this number will only shrink
with time.

Secondly if we wrap gcc that doesn't solve the underlying problem of
bad .pc files. The neat thing now is that we can move the .pc files
in/out of a sysroot, onto the target system or into different staging
directories since there are no hardcoded path problems in them anymore.
yes we have hardcoded paths in .la files and in the binconfig ones but
that issue is more manageable than having to hack .pc files as well.

Cheers,

Richard