[oe] [RFC] Auto bi-sect build server idea

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Thu May 8 11:34:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 12:15 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello Koen,
>
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> > > Define a few local.conf's that are known-good.
> >  What is different between those confs? I haven't edited my local.conf in
> > months and still build different configurations every day.
> >
> Ah yes, you specify stuff on the command line prior to building?
>
> MACHINE=foobar bitbake etc.?
>
> > > if the build completes, tag the revision as "last known good".
> > > if the build fails, tag the revision as "latest known bad", and
> > >

> >  Tags would be a bad idea, we can use certs with monotone, which allow a
> > free-from key:value structure, so you can do
> >
> I didn't mean tagging in the SCM context, just local to the build
> server (i.e. local to the bisect script). Should have made this more
> clear, as I don't intend to clutter the OE mtn db.
>
> Should check if mtn supports bi-sect, otherwise cook up a script that does this.

There is another bisect which would be useful too. You know a package
foo from svn failed to compile somewhere between revisions 345 and 876.
Can bitbake tell you which commit broke things?

Both should be possible with our current technology, its just a question
of implementing them!

Cheers,

Richard