[oe] RFC: reverse the name change for org.oe.stable

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon May 12 07:36:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 03:43 -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
> Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> > I am concerned about the loss of reputation that OE is incurring because
> > the .stable guys are willfully ignoring the official bug tracker.  I
> > think it should be renamed back to angstrom$whateveritwasbefore.  We
> > can't seriously be telling guys all the time "report your problems to
> > the BTS" and then have the "official" stable branch completely and
> > willfully ignore it.  I'd go as far as requesting it should be denied
> > the org.openembedded.* namespace in monotone.
>
> Please stop suggesting backward looking actions. It is important that OE
> provide a stable branch for people to use, regardless of what
> distribution people use. We know that we are not a perfect organization
> and the we do need to improve processes. You are making contributions in
> this area, however give people time to work through your ideas and see
> how they work out.

Well said.

We do need a stable branch. The rename made sense and improved several
issues. We're not naive and are going to pretend that everything is
perfect, its not. It is better than what we had previously which was no
stable branch. Some people are trying to make stable work and I'd like
us to find ways to help them rather than hinder them.

The stable branch people have commented on the use of the bugzilla and I
can't really see a problem there. If there are issues, lets keep them
technical rather than emotive and discuss the problems before proposing
inflammatory solutions.

Cheers,

Richard