[oe] [RFC] Stop on multiple providers but none explicitly specified

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Wed May 14 21:36:24 UTC 2008

Hello all,

in trying to explain a new user why his build fails, it was the
classic situation of multiple providers available but non specified:

NOTE: multiple providers are available for virtual/libc
(external-toolchain, uclibc);
NOTE: consider defining PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libc

Now, as far as I know, this makes the build non-deterministic, because
bitbake "just" chooses one.

Why do we want this behaviour? I cannot see any benefit in this situation.

We should at least prefer one over the other, or just bail out in my opinion.

Regards,
--
Leon