[oe] AVR32 segfaults / Disablng virtual/libintl?

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Fri May 16 21:11:50 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've had some odd segfaults on my AVR32 system, mostly involving avahi (always
on startup) and the occasional Xfbdev crash.  I didn't bother looking into it
until now, because aplay was always crashing before it even got to main(),
which was making difficult to test my sound CODEC.

I found that both avahi-daemon and aplay were both crashing before they got to
main(), and they both crashed due to infinite recursion calling the function
_pthread_cleanup_push_defer().

Due to the crash being in a thread related function, I focused my initial
attention there, but now I think the problem is related to gettext.  If I
hand compile aplay and keep it from linking against libintl, it doesn't
crash.  Haven't tried the same thing on avahi, but I suspect libintl/gettext
is also the problem there since they were crashing exactly the same way.

I don't need any i18n any these types of applications.  As a workaround, can I
keep gettext from being built and use the libintl stubs provided by uClibc?
How do I do this?  PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libintl = ""?
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libintl = "uclibc"?

TIA,
---
Geoffrey