[oe] Kernel Dependency Issue

Ken Gilmer ken at buglabs.net
Thu May 22 21:05:01 UTC 2008

Hello :)

  I've been having an issue with dependency resolution.  I have taken
stock org.openembedded.stable from last week, and added my own machine
and kernel recipie.  My conf/local references my machine:

> MACHINE = "bug"

My machine specifies my preferred kernel:

> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-bug"

And my kernel recipie inherets from kernel such that the PROVIDES
variable is set.  Despite this, I get this message when trying to build
the kernel:

kgilmer at t61 ~/dev/sandbox/oe-stable $ bitbake linux
NOTE: Out of date cache found, rebuilding...
NOTE: Handling BitBake files: - (4978/4978) [100 %]
NOTE: Parsing finished. 0 cached, 4738 parsed, 240 skipped, 0 masked.
NOTE: build 200805221644: started

OE Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION     = "1.8.11"
OE_REVISION    = "0a63e1d7756e807c77d989e9473d42567671c819"
TARGET_ARCH    = "arm"
TARGET_OS      = "linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE        = "bug"
DISTRO         = "angstrom"
DISTRO_VERSION = "2007.12-r14"
TARGET_FPU     = "soft"

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
NOTE: preferred version 2.5 of glibc not available (for item
virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-libc-for-gcc)
NOTE: Preparing runqueue
ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide
virtual/kernel
(/home/kgilmer/dev/sandbox/oe-stable/org.openembedded.stable/packages/linux/linux_2.6.21.bb
/home/kgilmer/dev/sandbox/oe-stable/org.openembedded.stable/packages/linux/linux-bug_2.6.19.2.bb).
 This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.

I've asked some questions on IRC and thanks to the folks on there for
giving me suggestions.  Running with "-DDD" or getting the dependency
tree "-g" does not seem to tell me anything on how to determine what I'm
missing.  A similar machine/kernel configuration works in Poky/Pinky
3.1.  What could I be missing?

TIA
ken