[oe] RFC: restart wiki from scratch

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Tue May 27 11:09:04 UTC 2008

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia Monday 26 of May 2008, Rolf Leggewie napisał:
>
>> the openembedded website is in rather bad shape lately.  This includes
>> the wiki which has both technical and content problems.  I suggest to
>> start anew.
>>
>> I'd like to go with mediawiki instead this time for the simple reason
>> that there are more of us who are actually familiar with this software
>> both from an admin and a user perspective.  Mediawiki was the software
>> for the OZ wiki which at its time wasn't doing too badly.
>>
>> Whatever we do, I think we should not allow the current state to exist
>> much longer.
>
> Agree - what we have now is hard to maintain and require Drupal experience
> which many people lack (I am one of them). Every time when I have to edit
> current OE wiki I feel that this is too complicated and too many options
> are present. Also there is always a problem with creating new pages as
> current situation looks like only registered users can create new pages
> but anyone can edit them.
>
> Will it be MediaWiki or ikiwiki does not matter too much for me. We need
> system which has:
>
> - spam protection
> - protecting pages (so only admins can edit)
> - registering users (I would prefer to not have anonymous edits)
> - blocking users (spammers)
> - sane syntax for content
>
> We have to decide which way we will go. One wiki for website and
> documentation or website (drupal, wordpress) + documentation in wiki.

Rather than worry about what wiki software to use, shouldn't we identify
the people who will maintain the website, then let them decide what
software will work best for the people maintaining it? It would be
really nice spread the workload of maintaining the OE website beyond
just the core developers.

Philip