[oe] openmoko OE devs: update claws-mail and libetpan?

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Wed Nov 12 07:35:37 UTC 2008

Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 20:55 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
>
> > 3) Add new versions to preferred-om-2008-versions.inc
> >
> As claws maintainer and OM person please do this version.

Well, I naively expected that the latest version will work better.

Actually, even 3.3.0 was working well in OE in August and now it
crashes. Even build from August crashes in the new system even if it is
using old libraries:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/backup5/usr/lib strace /home/backup5/usr/bin/claws-mail

Now 3.3.0 as well as 3.6.1 (+new libetpan) crashes in some locales. And
it seems, that both now display accented characters in subject
incorrectly. 3.6.1 lost part of translations somehow.
It indicates a change in libraries.

What I just found in my debugging:
- LC_COLLATE=C claws-mail works
- LC_COLLATE=cs_CZ.UTF-8 claws-mail crashes

When I remove ~/.claws-mail/toolbar*.xml, then it starts. Once. Then it
crashes again.

Looking at the source code, it crashes in toolbar_create due to
mis-filled cur: GSList of ToolbarItem. Instead of
((ToolbarItem*)cur->data)->file populated by the icon name
and ((ToolbarItem*)cur->data)->text populated by translated label of
the icon, it populates ((ToolbarItem*)cur->data)->file by translated
label of the icon and ->text remains NULL. When it tries to find stock
icon, it is out of the luck (Claws-Mail-CRITICAL **:
stock_pixmap_widget: assertion `icon >= 0 && icon < N_STOCK_PIXMAPS'
failed) and finally it crashes on g_object_ref(NULL).

And why it depends on LC_COLLATE? I have no idea.
But the source code gives me a hint: They use g_utf8_collate() just to
compare two strings for equality. g_utf8_collate() uses complicated
strcoll (strcmp can compare two strings about 100 times faster).

I will try 3.6.1 on the x86_64 trying to reuse ~/.claws-mail files
created in Angstrom.