[oe] Issues with the system startup when the IMAGE_TYPE is squashfs

Christian Pössinger poessinger at mixed-mode.de
Thu Nov 13 11:19:28 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm currently building a rootfs that will be stored in a squashfs
container. The file is properly created by OpenEmbedded, but I noticed
some issues:

First of all, when I boot an OE generated rootfs for the first time, a
file called /etc/volatile.cache will be generated. As of the fact that
squashfs is read-only this file can't be created.

The second issue comes with the kernel modules. Again, the first system
startup will create the modules.dep file inside the /lib/modules/$(uname
-a) directory. But as stated before, this is not possible on a read-only
filesystem.

Is there any way within OpenEmbedded to create those files before the
actual rootfs image is packed?

Best regards,

Christian Pössinger
Software Development