[oe] [gstreamer] Enabling binary cache (instead of the xml one)

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Fri Nov 14 23:04:50 UTC 2008

Hey Guys,

I wonder if we have ever considered in using the experimental gstreamer
feature to build it with "--enable-binary-registry".

This is not changing the way the registry is working, the result is simply
stored in binary and not xml. This avoids parsing on start.

For devices like the neo (with incredible slow flash speed) avoiding stating
all plugins would (changing the way the registry is working) would be a lot
better...

what do you think? Risk and use an experimental feature (it is using mmap so
the risk of SIGBUS is there)

	z.

Results of micro benchmark on my neo:

Binary cache: