[oe] [RFC] LICENSE fields and packages

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Tue Nov 25 20:13:49 UTC 2008

Tuesday 25 of November 2008 20:26:24 Koen Kooi napisał(a):

> Jason Kridner pointed out that we don't actually put the license in
> the resulting packages, making it hard for finding the license if you
> only have a bunch or packages.

Ugly we are.

> Now the RFC part:
>
> Allow URLs in the LICENSE field for lesser know licenses and/or
> click-through licenses.

> Related to that: a class that would take a text file and generate a
> preinsts that shows the textfile and prompts to accept it (or not)
> would be awesome as well.

Only if there will be a place on storage where informations which
licenses user accepted would be kept - I do not like to click "Yes, I
accept this license" 6 times on each system update.

You also have to think about graphical package managers here.

> Back to the point: what do you think of allowing URLs in the LICENSE
> field?

Show me code which will make use of it first? Why not add license to
SRC_URI?

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://blog.haerwu.biz/