[oe] preferred-provider at the image level a.k.a why is all this fso stuff in my non-fso image

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed Nov 26 14:51:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

Recently the FSO developers discovered that they can put

RPROVIDES = "foo"
RCONFLICTS = "foo"

in their fso-foo recipe to have OE install fso-foo instead of foo in
their fso-image. Great.

The downside: people can't get 'foo' anymore in their image since
'fso-foo' will _always_ get choosen over 'foo'. Not so great.

Normally it would be just a matter of putting PREFERRED_PROVIDER_foo =
"foo" in the distro.conf, but that is not an option in this case, since
when building 'fso-image' I actually want 'fso-foo' instead of 'foo'

My proposal is:

* remove the RPROVIDES, leave the RCONFLICTS
* put 'fso-foo' in IMAGE_INSTALL in fso-images instead of 'foo'
* educate people using RPROVIDES, RCONFLICTS and RREPLACES in recipes

objections?

regards,

Koen