[oe] Locale support.

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Wed Oct 8 15:37:04 UTC 2008

Sergey Lapin wrote:

> But I have problems with lots of UTF-8 characters on file system
> and applications. 'date' command works properly reporting according to
> locale.

If you have a problem with VFAT and similar file systems, than you need
an appropriate kernel fs/nls module and then edit /etc/fstab and/or
/etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh.

Example: http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/zaurus/files/mount/
Locale definition example: http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/zaurus/files/czech/
(Yes, you may need empty /usr/lib/locale/{locale} for GPE login GUI.)

> wget, however have problems, inventing names which contain junk.
> However, using scp, I'm able to store normal UTF-8-named files
> from my desktop Debian. ASCII characters in names are always OK.
> both wget and ls are stand-alone in my configuration.

For historical reasons, HTTP characters are converted to 7 bits.
If you see something like "%C5%BE%C5%99%C5%A1" after using wget, then it
is not a bug, it is a feature.

--
Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus