[oe] please check BK&MTN to GIT conversion dry-run repository

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Oct 15 15:20:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 15:42 +0200, Jan Lübbe wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 10:27 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > The original plan was to add the BKCVS later as a git tree graft rather
> > than hardcoding it into the history now in a broken form. Is it too late
> > to do this now?
>
> It is not possible to change history in git without changing the commit
> hashes. (so a "graft" is impossible without rebasing)

It is possible, you just do something like:

echo "$commit-id $graft-id" >> .git/info/grafts

which then adds some history to the start of the tree. Look up git tree
grafts and you'll find further information about this feature.

> > The BKCVS conversion still has the problems I wanted to get resolved
> > before we did this for example:
> >
> > http://git.sicherheitsschwankung.de/?p=jan/oetest.git;a=commit;h=66944efa040bdf36062522c7c33413fc1e039d83
> >
> > Where two commits have been rolled into one.
>
> I tried to figure out how to solve this, but ran out of time. Adding the
> (somewhat mangled) bk history now doesn't have any disadvantages

It does since we can't now add a correct version at a later date using a
tree graft.

> and
> still allows to find ot where the files come from. If someone figures
> out how to do a better conversion, we can still rebase, it that is
> desired.

No, we don't want to ever rebase. I'd much prefer we had a graft for
that point in time so we can just replace the history as and when we
come up with a better version.

Cheers,

Richard