[oe] [RFC] Enable --hash-style=both for all recent gcc4 targets

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Wed Oct 15 18:36:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 20:18 +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Modern as in glibc 2.5? I think we could strip the .hash away.

Right.  This was the glibc change that introduced gnu hash support:

2006-07-10  Ulrich Drepper  <drepper at redhat.com>

        * elf/dl-lookup.c (dl_new_hash): New functions.
        (_dl_lookup_symbol_x): Rename hash to old_hash and don't compute
        value here.  Compute new-style hash value.  Pass new hash value
        and reference to variable with the old value to do_lookup_x.
        (_dl_setup_hash): If DT_GNU_HASH is defined, use it and not
        old-style hash table.

I think it should even be fairly straightforward to backport that to
older glibcs if anybody wanted to do so.  As far as I know there is no
real reason for distros to require 2.4 or earlier though.

p.