[oe] Adding support for our

Robert Schuster thebohemian at gmx.net
Fri Oct 17 11:17:47 UTC 2008

Hi Alexm

Alex Raimondi schrieb:
> We have a new AVR32 based embedded linux board (www.miromico.com/hammerhead), which is available now.
That is a nice little board you have there. I personally like the AVR32
architecture. Atmel also has the better policy when it comes to
specifications. So I really like to see more AVR32 being used. :)

> We would like to use OpenEmbedded as our major build system to allow our customers to build their u-boot,
> kernel and rootfs.
Great stuff. OE already supports the ATNGW100 (have one here) and the
AT32STK1000. If your board can boot with the same linux 2.6.24 (or with
patches to that) it will be quite easy to support your device.

> Of course we would like to contribute to oe, as well.
Very nice!

> Is there such a thing as a board maintainer in oe? If yes, how can we become one?
We have a "MAINTAINERS" file. If you are a contributor you can add
information about the machines you are maintaining. This mainly means
that people will ask you when stuff breaks. In theory it should also
mean that people will ask you *first* if things are changed in OE that
affect your device but AFAIK we have no strict policies regarding this.

> We allready adapted a few bb files to get oe building our u-boot and kernel. Should we push out these changes?
> How?
Open a bug report.

> We have two developers working at this project. Our board is AVR32 based.
 So, if oe is our major build system we would have to take care that
avr32 allway builds.
 This means testing, fixing, extending support. I hope this would be
benefit enough to endure our newbie questions
 while we are getting known with the build system.
OE has a very steep learning curve but when you managed it you will
benefit very much from its great flexibility.

Thanks for supporting our project!

Regards
Robert