[oe] xserver-xorg rdepends

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Fri Oct 17 11:54:13 UTC 2008

Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> writes:

>>> Yes. Recent xservers need hal for various input systems to work
>>> correctly. So instead of crippling the xserver you can keep a crippled
>>> version in your personal tree or overlay.
>>
>> Fully support to keep hal as rdepends.
>
> Thinking about it some more, we should turn back the libhal split, so
> every hal apps works, instead of adding rdepends when we encounter
> broken apps.

Personally I disagree with you. Even though few applications can still
not work without the hal rdepends, some uses hal but not in a really
non dependant way and the split allows a finner selection where to
include or not it.

This allows also distros to select and change it by package.

> PS: how can I merge your xfce work into .dev? The git phrasebook isn't
> really clear on that.

I'm rebasing the branch against final repository and I'll send a
patchset for acking here before pushing it. I guess I can send those
patches later today and push it tomorrow if someone acks it before
that.

My idea is to split the patches in:

 - xfce-refactor-branch

   where the inc files are droped and the packaging improved

 - xfce-4.2-branch

   new version

There're also a number of fixes that I'll be sending here for review
and pushing together.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855