[oe] remove ld.so.conf from glibc?

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Fri Oct 17 19:30:03 UTC 2008

At present, the main glibc package (libc6 in most DISTROs) is shipping
an /etc/ld.so.conf file which mentions /usr/local/lib
and /usr/X11R6/lib.  I think it has basically been this way for all
time, and I suspect the original file was probably imported from Chris's
openzaurus installation way back when.

As far as I can tell, this file is not serving any useful purpose on any
contemporary DISTRO.  On the contrary, aside from contributing to
filesystem clutter, its only real effect will be to slow down shared
library loading.  So, I would propose to delete it from the libc6
package.  Any DISTRO which does need this file can, of course, ship it
in a separate package of their own.

Comments?

p.