[oe] busybox recipe isappearances

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Sun Oct 19 17:46:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 18:47 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Ack. Been bitten my that more than once. We should either leave the versions
> and just add newer ones or change the preferred-providers to match (if sure
> it's a minor update of a stable version).
>
> (This time it was an error on my side though.)

It's long been my view that we should just add newer ones and leave the
old ones alone.  There's really no reason to delete old recipes and,
even if you check for PREFERRED_VERSIONs in the git tree, there is no
real way to know who else might be relying on the version you are about
to delete.

Making an explicit distinction between minor and major updates as far as
PREFERRED_VERSION goes is quite an interesting idea though.  I can
certainly imagine that I might, for example, want to pin libglib to
2.14.x but be prepared to accept minor version updates within that
series.  I don't think there's currently any syntax to allow that but it
would be a neat enhancement.

p.