[oe] busybox start-stop-daemon problems with recent kernels

Tom Talpey tmtalpey at rcn.com
Fri Oct 24 13:53:02 UTC 2008

At 09:11 AM 10/24/2008, Sergey Lapin wrote:
>Hi, all!
>How do you people overcome problems with start-stop-daemon
>of busybox with recent kernels (seek error)?
>
>Is there any solution to this? I use vanilla git kernel with my images
>(I use out-of-tree .bb's for that) and have problems. This
>does not occur with kernels which are built by OE.
>
>Any ideas?

It's a bug in busybox, which tries to seek on /proc/cpuinfo (or something)
in a misguided attempt to determine the filesize. The kernel stopped allowing
seeks on /proc entries back in 2.6.24:
	<http://www.lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/16/185>

I have hack-y patches for busybox 1.9.2 and 1.11.1, I notice the latest
OE metadata is now 1.11.3, perhaps it's fixed upstream (which I can't
believe it's not, having been in the kernel for 6 months). Let me know
if you want them.

Tom.