[oe] Policies vs. Guidelines vs. Requirements (was: Reverting recent openmoko commit)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Mon Oct 27 11:30:55 UTC 2008

Guys,

to me these "policies" were always more guidelines than strict requirements.
We are not a beaurocratic institute here or a closed company (where you can
feel free to impose them if you want), but rather a bunch people working
together on a somewhat common goal.

As such it's _completely unacceptable_ to revert a whole lot of valuable work
just because some of the guidelines were not enforced 100%. Completely
unacceptable. Also unacceptable is a one-man-show revertion without a
consensus, but that's something the core team has to discuss.

Nearbye, _if_ the core team can find a majority to make these kind of policies
strict requirements, then the ones in favour of this solution should come up
with git commit hooks, so that the commits violating the policy can not be
commited in the first place.

In the meantime I'd be very happy if Holger would reapply his changes.
--
:M: