[oe] [oe-commits] Otavio Salvador : xorg-xserver-common.inc: set userid to allow Xorg to be run by users

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Tue Oct 28 12:10:13 UTC 2008

> +	chmod u+s ${D}/usr/bin/Xorg

Xorg is a pretty large and scary binary to make setuid root, not least
because I think you can run more-or-less arbitrary code if you specify a
custom config file which loads modules of your own devising.

I'm not sure this is a good idea to have as standard policy: it seems
like the kind of thing that ought to be an opt-in choice by DISTROs if
we do it at all.  A better idea still is probably to provide a setuid
wrapper which invokes X under controlled conditions and doesn't allow
the user to modify the parameters.

p.