[oe] arm kernel configurations

Tom Talpey tmtalpey at rcn.com
Thu Oct 30 20:10:46 UTC 2008

At 03:01 PM 10/30/2008, Phil Blundell wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 14:37 -0400, Tom Talpey wrote:
>> Interesting. This time it booted all the way to GPE. But, hid2hci
>> faulted and the kernel trapped on it. Nothing strange at all about
>> that binary, and the same one works fine on the OABI kernel.
>
>That's very strange indeed.  Does it do the same thing every time or is
>it more random than that?

Perfectly repeatable.

>> >Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 560000b8
>
>This doesn't seem to have any obvious relation at all to the OABI
>setting.  There's no reason why the kernel should be trying to access
>that memory address during a core dump.  At a first appearance I would
>say that you have some kind of hardware problem (misconfigured memory or
>the like) but obviously in that case you would expect it to fail under
>OABI too.  So, all in all, very weird.

I don't think it's hardware, because it works fine at all other times (i.e.
booting other kernels and no other changes). And, there's nothing really
to mess up on the H1940 configuration-wise.

The good news for me is that I'm having really good success running a
new 2.6.27 kernel. I've done a ton of stuff to it, but having the new
upstream s3c mci driver is a huge boon to making it work properly. I also
got sound working, by writing some code to use the uda1380 codec driver
already upstream, and turning on "alsa" in the oe machine.conf.

Except for a bootloader, reading the battery level and this OABI strangeness
(plus a couple of other kernel config glitches) I dare say it's a complete port.
Almost ready to share it...

Tom.