[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : initscripts: only run ldconfig on boot when ld.so. conf is present

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Oct 31 21:53:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:55:50 +0100 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>
babbled:

> On 31-10-2008 13:37, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:00:45 +0100 (CET) git at amethyst.openembedded.net (GIT
> > User account) babbled:
> >
> > is there any reason to run ldconfig on boot? this should be handled by opkg
> > on package install/upgrade or by the flash image creation (this slows boot
> > significantly and i've patched out/disabled ldconfig run in bootmisc.sh
> > with no ill effects).
>
> Not all images have a package management tool inside, so depending on
> that is a no-go. Recently OE stopped shipping ld.so.conf so the ldconfig
> on boot won't get run. Doing it this way seemed to me the safest way to
> get a nice speedup and keep things working for the funky people needing
> ld.so.conf without a package manager :)

no package manager? gads. well - i'd lean to the "then you're on your own
buddy" line there - u install libs, you remember to run ldconfig, or suffer :)
maybe i'm just too harsh :) though your way is clean. why don't we make it

if [ ! -e /etc/ld.handled ]; then
  /sbin/ldconfig
fi

and opkg adds a /etc/ld.handled to its package?

similar effect to what you did butbasically if someone knows they will handle
ldconfig then they just need to throw in that file into their system one way or
another?

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com