[oe] Some beginners problems

Thomas Kunze thommycheck at gmx.de
Fri Sep 12 10:47:20 UTC 2008

Sledz, Steffen wrote:
> I'm new to the OpenEmbedded system so please forgive me if my questions are FAQ or this is the wrong list.
>
> OE ist set up and I'm able to build images running on the target machines. But I'm looking for some guidance for the following problems.

> 1. Problem
>
> I wan't to make an image (e.g. minimal-image) for atngw100 but with different linux kernel configuration (e.g. CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y). What's th right way to do this?
>
> * Just edit packages/linux/linux-2.6.24/atngw100/defconfig?

Yes. But don't forget to increase the PR. Otherwise bitbake doesn't know
that the recipe was changed and doesn't rebuild it.
> * Create an additional patch and a new bbfile (or modify existing one)?
> * Change something in local.conf?
> * Something else ... ?

> 2. Problem
>
> I want't make a special patched dbus (in addition to the standard installation). What's the best way here?
>
> * Create an own package just using the same source archives?
> * Add a patch file to the existing package and modify the bbfile?
> * Something else ... ?

Depends if you need the original dbus package too or not. If you need it
create a new package and if not just add a patch to the old one
(and don't forget to increase PR).

> It would be nice to separate the changes not mentioned to become upstreamed from the org.openembedded.dev git tree.

The most effective way is to open a bug report for your patches. (and
poke people on irc if nobody reacts)

Regards,
Thomas