[oe] Some beginners problems

Thomas Kunze thommycheck at gmx.de
Fri Sep 12 13:56:01 UTC 2008

Sledz, Steffen wrote:

>>> The change is not a bug fix or something like this. It's
>>> just a variant and not mentioned to become committed. So if i
>>> increase PR and someone else fixes a bug and increases PR too
>>> and I pull this fixes from git I have a conflict.  :(
>>>

>> Yes but you will always have this problem with local changes and it
>> shouldn't be too hard to resolve such conflicts.
>>

> Is it possible (and is it a good idea) to create a new distro (or a new machine) for such a purpose?

In oe a distro decides which versions of packages to use or which
providers to use (qtopia-x11 vs. qtopia-framebuffer for example.)
A machine decides which architecture/kernel etc you have. I don't see
how you could abuse that to guard against conflicts between
local changes and upstream changes.
> Or is it possible to set parameters in local.conf which are available in the package bbfile for evaluation?

This is possible but doesn't solve the problem imo.
You may want to look at bitbake-collections:
http://bec-systems.com/oe/html/special_bitbake_collections.html
http://www.pokylinux.org/doc/poky-handbook.html#usingpoky-changes-collections
as Javi Roman suggested. Maybe this is what you want. But I would push
everything upstream
that is pushable and fix conflicts for all other stuff as necessary.