[oe] [ANN] mtn2git v0.1

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 17:53:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Michael Krelin <hacker at klever.net> wrote:

>> I did look at it, but there are some issues. For starters it seems to
>> be using extensively the manifest, which would probably make it very
>> slow. Also, it seems to be keeping the trees of all the revisions.
>
> Back when mtn2git script was on the early stages of development and I've had
> some time I've started doing my own mtn2git gateway in c++ (never finished
> it, though). For what I remember using manifest was the only way, because
> the changes information mtn automate returns was incomplete or simply wrong,
> I don't remember the details... Do check your results carefully if you're
> trying to go this way. Luckily, being slow due to use of manifest should
> only matter on initial import.

It's complicated, but hopefully doable.

That's why there are two methods; one that does a full checkout of the
revision and imports it into git, and the other one that uses mtn
automate and fast-import.

I'm able to import about 60% of the Pidgin code correctly, but after
that there are issues. That's the benefit of having two modes... I can
compare the fast one with the exact one and improve the fast one.

--
Felipe Contreras